OAC-Essbase has introduced a new platform concept called a catalog. The catalog is an area of storage within the cloud for both Essbase artifacts and end user artifacts. The catalog uses the OAC-Essbase security to restrict access.
Using the Cube Designer ribbon, under the Files category there are two buttons: Cloud and Local. The Cloud button provides access to the catalog. The Local button provides access to the Smart View sandbox location on the client.
The catalog has five main areas of storage for the OAC-Essbase related artifacts:
- Applications – this is access to the full Arborpath of the OAC-Essbase server. You will find the Essbase artifacts for all applications such as calc scripts in this location.
- Collaboration - for future use.
- Gallery – a set of application workbook examples which demonstrate the various capabilities of the Essbase cloud in Design By Example (DBX) format. These DBX workbooks are provided by Oracle and organized by topic from which any user can access and if they have the proper security, build a cube in the Essbase cloud.
- Shared – this is general storage where all OAC-Essbase users have full access rights.
- Users – this is user specific storage for each individual user.
The catalog type will determine the full extent of the operations available. Similarly, the file type will determine the default operation for that file. For example, double clicking on an Excel file type will automatically download the file and open it in Excel.
As a menu item under Local, the user also has the option to export to this client location an existing OAC-Essbase cube into the DBX format.